Thursday, November 21, 2013

Writing Prompt: 8 Must Read Books

"List 8 books you've read that you think everyone should read in their lifetime."

Alright, I'll do you one more and enlist my book club members into making lists too!


Me:
1. The Hotel New Hampshire
2. An American Tragedy
3. David Copperfield
4. The Incarnations of Immortality series
5. The Hunger Games trilogy
6. Anything by Roald Dahl
7. Wicked
8. Then Again, Maybe I Won't 

Connie:
 1) Jesus and Buddha as Brothers
2)The Harry Potter series
3)The English Patient
4)The Perks of Being a Wallflower
5)Treasure Island
6)The Hobbit
7)Little Women
8)The Help
To that list I had a hard time deciding on The Outsiders, Where the Red Fern Grows, there were a few others as well.  The Secret Garden, The Alchemist, Rebecca, The Count of Monte Cristo, Atonement, I had a hard time narrowing down the list to 8.

Molly:
Harry Potter series, His Dark Materials, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Red Tent, Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Thousand Splendid Suns, A Prayer for Owen Meany, and..... Um.... Gonna have to go with Where the Wild Things Are.  I forgot almost every Roald Dahl book!  And I thought of another, the Fault in Our Stars.

Liz:
The Secret Garden 
Grimm’s Fairytales 
To Kill a Mockingbird 
DragonLance Chronicles (ok to be fair this is three books combined into one volume but they were amazing) 
The Last Unicorn
Pet Cemetery
Night
And Then There Were None
The Westing Game
Mama’s Losin’ It

10 comments:

mj said...

Oh I love so many of these! I think everyone in your book group has excellent reading taste!

Esther said...

Great choices! Roald Dahl is the best.

Unknown said...

Thanks! That's a lot of what brings us together. We've got enough overlap in taste to agree and enough difference to expand into various perspectives when we discuss.

Unknown said...

Isn't he though? I was talking to a friend the other day that a Roald Dahl childhood is an excellent lead in to an Edgar Allen Poe puberty!
Roald Dahl is excellent at giving us real characters with fairly dark realities but the hope that through some way we can somehow overcome it.

Unknown said...

I haven't read Roald Dahl in years. But I noticed a box series on my nephews book shelf yesterday, and I'll admit I was jealous! How fun to enlist the help of your book club. Many great choices

Anonymous said...

Great list!!! I love Where the Red Fern Grows!!! I loved the book The Outsiders too. Such a wonderful list.

Unknown said...

I saw the prompt and thought it would be a great activity for all of us to participate in. It gives more than just my opinion but the opinions of many. :)
A Roald Dahl box sounds SUPER awesome! I'd be jealous too.

Unknown said...

I've read The Outsiders but honestly haven't read Where the Red Fern Grows. I suppose I'll have to look into doing that after finishing the next book club book...

KatBouska said...

I love how all three of you snuck in extra books beyond 8...it would be impossible to narrow down!

Unknown said...

The prompt was a lot of fun for all of us involved! I had this awesomely written out post of twelve or so books from early childhood to adulthood and why they matter for those periods of your life.... And I napped with my phone on... And I didn't save it...

Post a Comment