Friday, November 15, 2013

My Fandoms

What is the difference between simply liking something and having a fandom?
Wikipedia probably has the best phrasing to explain fandom.
Fandom (consisting of fan [fanatic] plus the suffix -dom, as in kingdomfreedom, etc.) is a term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of sympathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest. Fans typically are interested in even minor details of the object(s) of their fandom and spend a significant portion of their time and energy involved with their interest, often as a part of a social network with particular practices (a fandom); this is what differentiates "fannish" (fandom-affiliated) fans from those with only a casual interest.

My Fandoms Are:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
I never would have imagined when I first saw that VHS box covered in pink that it would ever become what it has for me.

Disney
I live, breathe, and think Disney.  From the movies to the parks.  I love all of it and it can do me no wrong.  This is my comfort fandom that keeps me warm and safe and happy.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
While I do love Sailor Moon and many of the conversations with other fans can be incredible.. Some fans do not contain the maturity to handle difference of opinion.  So I keep my awesome Moonies close by for conversations.  I don't like to branch out too far within this fandom anymore though it did earn me a Marley Farley early on in my life.

Barbie
Don't you dare say anything negative about Barbie.  Barbie IS everything and anything that she wishes to be.  She is a modern woman who always reaches new and incredibly amazing heights.  


Honorable Mentions of Just Some Awesome Stuff That I Like:
Mean Girls
Everyone should watch Mean Girls and everyone should love Mean Girls.

Desperate Housewives
My heart.  It's like this show knows me.

The Hunger Games Trilogy
Mockingjay destroyed my life.  Thanks Molly.



And Doctor Who and comic books and role playing games and more are in my list of interests.  







0 comments:

Post a Comment