Thursday, January 16, 2014

Writing Prompt: Childhood Movie

I'm not sure of how many times I watched this with my brother.  Probably higher than anything I could ever count when I was four or so.  I do know that we loved this movie and I still do.
We had the doll.  I bought the soundtrack on cassette when I was in high school.  I've watched it on Netflix with my daughter.

My brother and I were born in Germany.  We had two cats; A.J. and P.J.  A.J. was my cat; he would open doors and tackle me down in the hallway.  P.J. was my brother's cat who did not scare or frighten people. Not too long after my brother was one or so, we were moving to the United States.  My mom was military so this was the first of multiple moves in our lives.
We loved our cats.  And we loved watching An American Tail.
My mom shared with me when I was more grown a story about us watching An American Tail in Germany.  She said that when the movie would end that she would tell us that that's why A.J. and P.J. could not move with us.  Because there were no cats in America.  Of course, we would cry and get upset about having to leave our cats.
I don't remember this.  Why would we keep asking to watch this movie then if we would keep getting our hearts broken by reality in the end?  I don't know, but I think the story is kind of funny.

A.J. and P.J. came to America with us regardless of what Fievel had to say on the matter.


Mama’s Losin’ It

4 comments:

Mimi N said...

Oh my goodness, that was such a great movie! My girls loved watching that movie. Your mom was smart trying to convince you about not being able to bring your cats. Glad you were able to, though! I shard about one of my favorite movies growing up, too. =)

Unknown said...

The movie was amazing! The visuals were great and the soundtrack is astounding! I still love it.
I'll have to take a peak at your blog to find your movie when I get home this evening. :)

TMWHickman said...

I never saw this movie, but I did love the song from the movie. Linda Ronstadt sang it, I think. So beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh it's such a beautiful song!
I didn't realize who sang it exactly until you just mentioned her name. Learn something new! :)

Post a Comment