Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Large Group Literacy: Transportation

Things That Take Us Places
I section off a chart paper into three zones; sky, ground, and water.  Students suggest different modes of transportation and I write them on the paper into where they go.

Road Tallying
Each student gets a sheet of paper that has been sectioned down the middle with a different mode of transportation on the top of each side of the sheet.  We attach these sheets to a clipboard and away we go on an adventure to observe passing traffic.  I was at a school that was located near a highway intersection and we saw PLENTY to tally mark on our sheets.  Where I am now is near an Air Force base which has usually high plan traffic over our school EXCEPT on the day I did this activity with my students!

Row Your Boat Retelling
We use two jump ropes to make our stream as students take turn pretending to row their boats while everyone cheers them on with this familiar nursery rhyme.

I Stink! Garbage Feed
If you've read I Stink! you'll know that this super garbage truck has his own alphabet soup recipe involving trash of every letter. Students help to find items around the classroom to fill up our trash truck prop while identifying their beginning letter sound.

Wheels on the Bus Big Book Reading
Don't have Wheels on the Bus?  Try Down By the Bay or any other Big Book with a transportation touch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment