Wednesday, February 12, 2014

GELDS: SC3.4c

CD-SC3 – The child will demonstrate knowledge related to living things and their environments.
CD-SC3.4c Identifies and describes the functions of many body parts. 
WSO: Explores the characteristics of living things.

Activities: Movement Dice.  (Example here)  You can replace the images with various body parts.  "Close your eyes."  "Wiggle your fingers."  "Sniff with your nose."  Are just an example of other body functions that students could perform in this game.

Songs.  From Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes to even more.  While most of the songs cover identifying, this works well if students are used to calling body parts other names or are English Language Learners.  They might not being doing successfully well during positional word assessment because when you say "put the beanbag on your head" they are used to hearing "cabeza" or "stompers" for feet.  

I Can....   This game is a song game.  You play it to the tune of "I Can Work With One Hammer"  But replace key words with body parts and their functions.  Instead of  "I can work with one hammer, one hammer, one hammer all day long" you could say "I can bend with my knees, my knees, my knees all day long."  If you would like for students to offer suggestions, I would recommend having clip art of body parts for students to choose from so as to avoid from certain suggestions that might lose your class to a giggle fit.

Books: My Hands On My Head by Dr. Jean Feldman
Parts by Tedd Arnold

Song: Five Senses by Shawn Brown (discusses body parts relevant to five senses and their function)
My Hands On My Head by Dr. Jean Feldman (multi-lingual)

It is very important that you screen any and all books and songs that you consider for this indicator prior to introducing it in the classroom.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment